Monday, September 04, 2006

Methods of Madness

"We believe that churches and Christians should continually reform their ministry methods to most effectively reach the changing cultures(s) to which they are sent by God as missionaries (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)."

This quote, taken from a conservative Evangelical blog, quite nicely illustrates my uneasiness with Evangelicalism's obsession with obtaining converts. A "method", to my mind, is a process which is developed in order to achieve an efficient means to an end. In this case, the blog owners are arguing for Churches and Christians to "continually reform" their methods in order to "effectively reach the changing cultures" that they are trying to evangelize.

I am going on record right now in saying that I don't believe that "ministry" and "methods" go together.

I am, of course, aware of these "methods" of reaching "cultures" through "ministry": The thing is, members of the "culture" being "ministered" to usually aren't fooled by these methods. Members of these cultures know that the "relationship" being offered by "relational evangelists" isn't real. They know that the only reason why they are being "ministered" to is because the "minister" wants them to convert. No matter how good the methods are, the ministry seems hollow because it is not offered out of love for human beings who bear God's image, but in hopes of another notch on the spine of the "minister's" study Bible.

"Another soul for Jesus...NEXT!"

I can't do this. I can't be this. I can't extend ministry, charity, and love to someone in hopes that they will convert to Christianity. I can't live a life of breathlessly saying to myself: "Will my parent/brother/sister/husband/wife/boss/best friend/worst enemy/Madonna accept Jesus as his/her personal savior today?" Racking up numbers of converts isn't my idea of real religion, and the notion that genuine ministry is about successful methods (which have to be modified on occasion) is laughable (sort of--because it really isn't funny).

For my own self, genuine religion is about teaching adherents how to serve and to love others without having expectations as to what the "other's" response should look like. I'd like to learn how to extend love and grace and service to others regardless of the outcome. If I learn "methods" I want them to be methods for my own spiritual development, rather than manipulative tools for tricking others into faux conversions.I truly wonder if Evangelicalism will ever get there.

I know, of course, that there are many, many good hearted Evangelicals that engage in Christian service beyond what I could ever dream of offering. But I still get this niggling feeling that the motivation for much of what passes for Evangelical "ministry" is based on the expectation that numbers will be met and if the numbers aren't right, then the "method" must be wrong.

I think that there is a madness behind these methods, and I really don't want to plumb those depths. I don't like the result(s), so I certainly don't want to know the motivation(s) anymore than I have to.

No comments: